Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The new TOME GS is here!

Yes its been a while. A long while but the day has finally arrived. I have finally got around to building my new system and I am already considering changing chips :). But for now let me introduce you to the greatness(or lack thereof) of the new Tome Game System. I actually built two systems, the first one as a test of the pic32 micro, its development software and programming tools. After designing a simple version of the game system, building the board and connecting it to the programmer it connected on the first try. It took me a while to get the display working correctly. I don't have an oscilloscope to test the pins for correct timing so its trial and error. Eventually the display showed some garbage so I knew I was on the right track. I finally was able to initialize the display correctly and draw to it. Once this was working I ran into a few problems with the build that gave me the itch to build the more advanced prototype. This system consists of a PIC32MX220, nokia 6610 lcd, 128kb external sram, 2MB flash chip. This microcontroller only has 32kb flash and 8kb ram which was not enough for what I plan to do. I ordered a PIC32MX150 which has 128kb flash and 32kb ram which would have worked better but I wasn't paying attention and ordered the wrong ic package. That mistake made me just pull the trigger and build a new one with a better microcontroller.

Here are a few pics of the build process:



The next post will detail the system that I will be using for development. It's already done so no three year hiatus :). People keep asking me how to build a game system so I might fix the few issues and use this simple one as a example in a video series if anyone is interested.



3 comments:

  1. Great!And,will you post the schematics of Tome GS?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Electronics is a study of flow of electrons in electrical circuits. You made some good points about electronics. I have read your post it is genuine and helpful. Thanks
    Aerospace and Electronics Systems

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you had financial problems, then it is time for you to smile. You only need to contact Mr. Benjamin  with the amount you wish to borrow at the low rate of 2% ROI and the payment period that suits you and you will have your loan  within three working days. I just benefited for the sixth time a loan of 700 thousand dollars for a period of 180 months with the possibility of paying before the expiration date. Mr Benjamin has been helping me with the loan.Make contact with him and you will see that he is a very honest man with a good heart.His email is  247officedept@gmail.com   and his WhatApp phone number is + 1-989-394-3740 .

    ReplyDelete